CEENGINE project aims at enforcing and stimulating Central and Eastern European Networking Association (CEENet) activities related to the creation, incubation and development of National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) inCentral, Eastern, Southern Europe and Central Asia.
With the support of EU in the form of CEENGINE project, it is expected that the Association engages more intensively and aggressively in supporting and developing NRENs in the areas which are both complementary to and enabling towards GEANT3.
CEENGINE relies heavily on the unqualified experience, expertise and competence of CEENet in Central and Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia, and aims to fulfill the following objectives:
- coordination of activities between e-Infrastructures initiatives in the region;
- raising awareness and technical know-how necessary for integration with GÉANT, including dark-fibre, cross-border connections;
- fostering international cooperation and extension of GEANT towards the East;
- the intensification of dissemination of e-Infrastructure programme and related projects (GEANT, BSI, CAREN, various GRID and HPC initiatives) in the region.
CEENGINE follows quite simple yet carefully crafted work plan.
There are four major activities that ensure the achievement of project objectives:
- the identificication of NREN’s users and support to user communities (in the sense of stimulating, disseminating information, supporting participation in European research activities) in order to create a stable base of NREN supporters; this follows our belief that NRENs should perform stimulating role towards their users’ communities;
- the development and support of NRENs; non-existence or weak performance of NRENs discourages user communities or greatly impedes their participation in collaborative international research; we believe that each country’s academic community needs dedicated research facilities and NREN is such facility. Such as there is no good transport economy without good highways, there is no good international research collaboration without the access to international research facilities, such as NRENs and GEANT; this activity is very much dependent on the first one – there are no good NRENs if there are no users;
- the coordination of research activities; NRENs are subject to constant development – mainly due to ever-changing technology, legal environment as well as new ways of interoperation with partners; this situation requires constant monitoring and even participation of NRENs in relevant research activities; for this purpose CEENGINE will create a competence database and will offer domain contact point services for NRENs and their users willing to participate in international research
- the education; the results of first three activities will provide valuable information that will be processed to the workshop materials, for three dedicated workshops:
- NRENs’ users workshop
- NRENs’ technology workshop
- NRENs’ managerial/policy workshop
- the dissemination; “80% of success is showing up” said Woody Allen; the project and the organization which does not show up, does not exist; CEENGINE has quite ambitious dissemination programme, including:
- standard passive publications (flyer, website)
- active dissemination (newsletter, presentations on related events, workshops and conferences)
Out of above we would like to attract your attention to our newsletter, which is available for download in CEENET publications section.